Introduction to Agile Methods - Released under Creative Commons
If you would like to speak to Evan about this course, please contact him here.
As part of an ongoing release of all my training material following the launch of my new book, I am releasing "Introduction to Agile Methods" under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license. That is, you are free to share, copy, and adapt any part of this training course for your own purposes. All materials, including examples are available for download from this page.
Learn how to improve your Software Development or Business Intelligence processes using modern Agile project management in a fun, friendly and effective way!
Traditional software project management is based on hierarchically driven, fixed outcome systems and processes. Agile project management, however, is an iterative planning & development approach that can be applied, day-to-day, to improve overall quality and customer satisfaction.
This two day course covers the basic concepts of Agile project management and how these methodologies can be used within your organisation. This course aims to provide the tools for software managers and teams to improve customer satisfaction through the rapid and continuous delivery of useful software. We also look at how to use the best of traditional (or waterfall) processes within Agile techniques.
Agile Methods - presentation.zip
This course is designed to provide a strong, functional understanding of several popular agile methods; including Scrum, Kanban, Extreme Programming, and Test Driven Development. It also teaches way of engaging effectively with customers, stakeholders and developers. During this comprehensive two day course, the participants will:
- Gain a comprehensive and clear understanding of agile management methods, and how these can improve ongoing business processes.
- Learn how to optimise development times, reduce ongoing development costs, and improve client satisfaction.
- Learn how to improve software estimation the Agile way.
- Participate in workshops to improve progress tracking and reporting.
- Discover how to attract and retain good software developers.
Who Should Attend
This course is for managers, project managers & developers who are interested in learning about Agile methods and how they can help improve the quality and responsiveness of their software development projects. People wishing to enrol in this course should have a good understanding the software development life cycle.
- INTRODUCTION TO AGILE AND THE AGILE MINDSET
- History of Agile Development and the Agile Manifesto
- Rapid Application Development
- Test Driven Development
- Feature Driven Design
- Extreme Programming
- AGILE ROLES
- Customers & the Product Owner
- The Role of the Scrum Master
- Cross-Functional and Self Organising Teams
- STARTING AN AGILE PROJECT - PROJECT INITIATION
- Specifications in Agile?
- Beginning the Project
- Outcomes from Initiation
- Product Backlog
- Story Point Estimation
- Planning Agile with Fixed Constraints (Cost, Time, Scope)
- RUNNING AN AGILE PROJECT - AGILE ITERATIONS / SPRINTS
- Iteration Planning
- Iteration Backlog
- Effort Estimation
- Ongoing Development
- Agile Design & Architecture
- Development Standards & Practices
- Pair Programming
- Daily Scrum / Stand-up
- Transparent & Continuous Progress Monitoring
- Burndown Charts
- Continuous Integration
- Unit Testing
- Test Driven Development
- Sprint Review
- Sprint Retrospective